The
embattled Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Ibrahim Idris, may in few weeks be
forced out of the police force as President Muhammadu Buhari is believed to
have
ordered discreet screening of top police officers for his possible
replacement.
INDEPENDENT
investigations reveal that the president is worried over allegations against
Ibrahim Idris.
Prominent
among them are allegations of corruption levelled against him by Senator Isah
Hamman Misau, some serving police officers, as well as some lawyers.
In addition,
he is being accused of being sectional in the discharge of his national duty.
Some of the
petitions are said to have been forwarded to President Buhari and to the
anti-graft agency, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
On Monday,
last week, INDEPENDENT reported that the EFCC was already acting on some of the
petitions discreetly.
A reliable
source at the anti-graft agency hinted to INDEPENDENT that “though the
presidency is yet to officially refer the case to us, we are already
investigating the allegations based on petitions already with us.”
One of the
allegations was that one Barrister Emma, a civilian who lives in Onigbongbo
area of Lagos, was dreaded at the Force Headquarters, as he was said to wield
so much power and had unrestrained access to the IGP’s office on 7th floor.
He was also
accused of influencing posting of mobile police squadron commanders after they
parted with N10 million.
Posting of
squadron commanders is the prerogative of the IGP.
One other
allegation was that Idris frustrated an investigation into a $1 million case.
It was
reported that the IGP had called a Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) who
headed the investigation team at Force Criminal Investigation Department (FCID)
to step down further investigation into the $1 million case.
But the DCP
told the IGP to send a signal as evidence for his defence in case he is later queried
over the matter.
The IGP
reportedly got angry and viewed the request of the DCP as an affront, and
consequently redeployed him to Police College, Kano.
INDEPENDENT
further learnt that based on the track record of the DCP, the Presidential
Committee on Recovery of Public Property requested the IGP to deploy the DCP
and other officers to the committee.
The IGP was
said to have refused to deploy the DCP to the committee but rather deployed
younger officers.
A top
official of the committee who is also an adviser to President Buhari, explained
to INDEPENDENT, in his Abuja office, that “we actually wrote to the IGP to
release some officers to us, and he did not decline.”
The official
would not want to comment on whether the category of officers requested for
were released.
“We have no
issue on the category of officers released; all I know is that the IGP did not
decline to our letter.
“Apart from
the police, we also wrote to other agencies, like the EFCC.”
An Aso Rock
source told INDEPENDENT that the allegations of corruption against the IGP were
embarrassing.
“They are
quite embarrassing to the government and grievous in nature, although the facts
are yet to be established,” he said.
Apart from
the allegations of corruption, Idris is being accused of being a sectional IGP.
For
instance, the Zaria crisis in Kaduna State, where Muslim fanatics slaughtered
Christians in churches without the police arresting and prosecuting the
culprits is believed to be one of the reasons for his possible sack.
Another
reason adduced for his sack, is his inability to arrest and prosecute any of
the Arewa youths who had given a quit notice to the Igbos living in the North
to leave by October 1.
Vice
President Yemi Osinbajo, who was acting president at that time, was said to
have viewed Idris’s failure as a deliberate attempt to ignite ethnic crisis.
Apart from
that, the IGP and the VP were said to have had a face-off over the aide-de-camp
(ADC) to the VP, Superintendent of Police (SP) Ayo.
The IGP
allegedly directed the Force Secretary to redeploy the ADC to the VP out of the
Villa.
The VP was
said to have been irked by the IGP’s action and called him to find out why his
ADC was being redeployed without his consent, when indeed he had no complaint
against the ADC.
Idris
reportedly explained that “it was normal police routine posting,” a source
hinted INDEPENDENT.
But Osinbajo
was said to have insisted that he would not release his ADC.
While the
face-off lasted, the Zaria crisis heightened, thus creating an opportunity for
the acting president to relieve Idris of his job.
He, however,
sought Buhari’s nod to sack Idris. Osinbajo’s move was said to have again
leaked to Idris, who was said to have employed the goodwill of northern
leaders, including Emir of Kano, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, and his own royal
father, the Etsu Nupe, Alhaji Yahaya Abubakar to plead with the then acting
president.
Etsu Nupe
was believed to have sought a private audience with Osinbajo in the Villa where
he had a closed-door meeting with then acting president.
To cement
and tighten the loose end with the VP, the IGP was said to have recently
approved for the ADC to attend an international conference of Chief of Police,
currently taking place abroad.
INDEPENDENT
reliably learnt that the ADC is expected back into the country this week after
the ten-day conference.
INDEPENDENT’s
investigations further revealed that the plan to sack Idris had been on for
four months.
However,
Idris was said to have always gotten wind of the plan and has been making
frantic moves to retain his job.
Force Public
Relations Officer, Jimoh Moshood, a CSP, told INDEPENDENT on phone on, Sunday,
that he was “not aware of any plan by the IGP to remove the vice president’s
ADC,” adding, “The IG cannot tell me internal matters. I am the force public
relations officer between the police and the public.”
INDEPENDENT
gathered that Buhari’s final nod to sack Idris was heightened by top members of
the All Progressives Congress (APC) who are said to be mounting pressure on
Buhari.
Our Aso Rock
source hinted that initially Buhari was not disposed to relieving Idris of his
job.
The source
believes that the role Idris played as Commissioner of Police, Kano State,
during the 2015 presidential election, where APC won overwhelmingly, may be a
reason.
INDEPENDENT
also learnt that Idris was allegedly endorsed by Emir of Kano and Etsu Nupe for
the IGP position against AIG Bala Hassan, from Kano State, and AIG Umar Manko,
from the same royal family with Etsu Nupe, who were rumoured to be in the
forefront of consideration for the IGP position.
Buhari is
believed to have finally caved in to pressure after top party members convinced
him that sacking Idris would convince the opposition especially Peoples
Democratic Party (PDP) that he is not paying lip service to the war against
corruption.
They also
cited former president, Olusegun Obasanjo, who sacked and prosecuted former
IGP, Tafa Balogun, for corruption, as a sign of his commitment to the
anti-corruption war.
Subsequently,
Aso Rock source hinted that two Deputy Inspectors-General of Police (DIGs) and
two Assistant Inspectors-General of Police (AIGs) are being screened for the
plum job.
They are DIG
Shuabu Gambo in charge of ‘A’ Administration Department.
Gambo hails
from Niger State as Idris, and he is due for retirement in December, 2018.
He has
served in Lagos under retired DIG Marvel Akpoyibo, whose regime as Commissioner
of Police witnessed a drastic reduction in crime in Lagos.
He has
served as a state Commissioner of Police, a prerequisite in the considerations
for IGP position.
The second
is DIG Habilla Joshak, in charge of ‘B’ Operations Department.
He is from
Plateau State and is due for retirement in July 2019.
He is known
to the police as an operational officer. He has also served as Abia State
Commissioner of Police, has held several positions in Lagos, and has been an
operational officer in Rivers State.
The next
officer Aso Rock is believed to have screened is AIG Lawal Shehu, in charge of
Border Patrol, from the same Katsina State as Buhari.
He is due
for retirement in December 2020.
In the same
vein, AIG Adamu Mohammed Abubakar, in charge of Zone 5 police command,
comprising Edo, Delta and Bayelsa states is believed to have been screened. He
is from Nasarawa State.
He has also
served as Enugu State Commissioner of Police.
He was
Nigeria’s representative at INTERPOL headquarters, Léon, Paris for several
years.
He was said
to have represented Nigeria positively while in INTERPOL.
The last is
AIG Kayode Aderonti, who hails from Osun State, and is in charge of Zone 1.
There are three states under the zone with Kano as headquarters.
He had
served as Lagos State Commissioner of Police and AIG in charge of Zone 2,
comprising Lagos and Ogun states.
Presidential
spokesman, Femi Adesina, when contacted on phone, on Sunday, said he was not
aware of the planned sack.
He said: “I
am not aware if the president wants to sack the IGP.”
He, however,
said he would call back. Adesina did not get back as at the time of going to
press.
0 Comments