Amina
Mohammed linked to 1.4m illegal Nigerian woods in China
• New
allegations challenge environment record of top UN official
• I signed
permits legally, Buhari’s former aide insists
The
Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) yesterday released a report showing
how over 1.4 million illegal rosewood logs from Nigeria, worth $300 million,
were laundered into China.
The report
which was first made exclusively available to The Guardian by Global Media Max,
a strategic communications services agent to the EIA, claimed that multiple
independent sources told undercover investigators that over $1 million was paid
to top Nigerian officials to release the woods stopped by Chinese authorities. The
EIA is a US-based non-governmental organisation (NGO) founded in 1984 by Dave
Currey, Jennifer Lonsdale and Allan Thornton — three environmental activists in
the United Kingdom — to investigate and expose crimes against wildlife and the
environment. It also campaigns to prevent environmental crime.
Senior
Policy Advisor and Director of Forest Campaigns at the EIA, Lisa Handy, said
the report indicted the Deputy Secretary General of the United Nations and
President Muhammadu Buhari’s former Environment Minister Amina Mohammed who now
faces questions regarding her role in the entire process.
“Thousands
of permits,” she said, “were ultimately signed by the then Minister of
Environment, Mrs. Amina J. Mohammed, who currently serves as Deputy
Secretary-General of the United Nations (UN)”, according to the report
emanating from a two-year investigation by EIA on the “Rosewood Racket”
detailing the journey of illegal African rosewood, also known as “kosso,” from
the remote forests of Nigeria.
Mrs.
Mohammed was reportedly supposed to start her new position as Deputy
Secretary-General of the UN on January 1, 2017, but extended her time as
Minister of Environment at the request of President Buhari to round off
critical responsibilities. EIA investigators said they found that she signed
thousands of retroactive CITES permits in January 2017 as one of her last acts
as Minister of Environment, and just before she was sworn in as the Deputy
Secretary-General to the UN.
The permits
were reportedly used by Chinese importers to release over 1.4 million illegal
logs that had been detained at the Chinese border for months, after having left
Nigeria in violation of both Nigerian law and international CITES
obligations.Alexander von Bismarck, EIA Executive Director, who was quoted in a
sumarised reported and later spoke with The Guardian on telephone from his U.S.
base, said: “As a legally binding treaty ratified by nearly all members of the
United Nations, CITES can play a critical role in protecting endangered trees
and fragile forests. The international community needs to urgently bring
transparency to the CITES permitting process in order to fight the organised
criminals that profit from the extinction of endangered species.”
Von Bismarck
added: “The power and reach of organised timber criminals in forest rich
countries is overwhelming if illegal wood is allowed to be sold overseas
without consequences.“This is why we urgently need regulatory changes in
consuming countries to stop timber shipments based on evidence of being
illegally logged, transported or traded. Such laws have already been passed in
the U.S. and the EU. This case shows that China has the ability to take action
when it stopped thousands of containers of illegal rosewood. But the fact that
the wood was ultimately released shows that China urgently needs domestic
legislation to ban the import of illegally sourced wood.”
EIA says the
products of the illegal logging found their way to luxury furniture boutiques
in China, “despite protections placed on this threatened tree species by the
CITES.”It further stated that the exploding Chinese demand for kosso over the
past five years had triggered a series of “boom-and-bust” cycles that led to
the depletion of forests across West African nations.
“In most of
the countries, kosso has been illegally logged in violation of harvest and log
export bans, including in protected areas. Precious trees have been laundered
into the international market through regional smuggling routes, using
mis-declaration and falsification of official documents.”The boom, according to
the EIA, began in Gambia and Benin, but Chinese traders had to rapidly move on
through other countries in the region — before settling on the largest untapped
forest resources of Nigeria — as supply was exhausted in just a few short
years.
Since 2013,
Nigeria has been transformed from a net importer into the world’s largest
exporter of rosewood logs, and is to date one of the top wood exporters on the
continent. The unprecedented and uncontrolled level of logging across the
country is causing desertification, imperiling the livelihoods of millions of
people, and threatening national parks and endangered emblematic species such
as the most vulnerable chimpanzee (Pan troglodytes ellioti) in the world.
Kosso was added
to Appendix II of CITES in 2016, meaning that logging and trade must be
strictly controlled and kept at sustainable levels. The results of the new EIA
investigation show that the enforcement of the convention faces serious
challenges when dealing with transnational criminal networks. The report shows
how Sino-Nigerian criminal networks took advantage of an obsolete and opaque
permitting system to launder illegal wood using CITES paperwork.
Efforts to
get a response from the Deputy Secretary General of the United Nations did not
yield immediate results as several telephone calls to her mobile phone which a
presidency official said was roaming, did not go through. There was also no
response to a text message at press time.
But Mrs.
Mohammed was quoted last month as having referred to the permits in an
interview last month in her sprawling 38th-floor U.N. headquarters office in
Manhattan overlooking the East River. The certificates, she said “came in bags,
and I just signed them because that is what I had to do…I don’t remember how
many.”
She
reportedly described her own action as part of “a complicated, though legal,
balancing act aimed at ensuring Nigeria’s threatened forests were being
harvested sustainably while also honouring contracts with Chinese rosewood
importers and protecting the livelihoods of a growing number of Nigerians who
depend on the timber trade.”
What looked
like an official reaction — though unsigned — came much later through a third
party.“The Secretary-General has been informed by the Deputy Secretary-General
about the reports and reiterates his full support and confidence in her. She,
of course, categorically rejects any allegations of fraud,” Ms Mohammed
reportedly said in response to The Guardian enquiries.
“The Deputy
Secretary-General welcomes the effort to shine more light onto the issue of
illegal rosewood logging and exportation that she fought hard to address during
her tenure in the Nigerian Government.
She says that her actions as Nigerian Environment Minister were intended
to deal with the serious issue of illegal wood exportation. As a result, she instituted a ban and set up
a high-level panel to find policy solutions to the crisis of deforestation in
Nigeria.
“Ms.
Mohammed says that the legal signing of export permits for rosewood was delayed
due to her insistence that stringent due process was followed. She says that she signed the export
certificates requested before the ban only after due process was followed and
better security watermarked certificates became available.”
Asked
whether the investigators actually consulted Mrs. Mohammed, Von Bismarck told
The Guardian on telephone last night that she was reached by Foreign Policy
reporter for comments and she denied that the woods were illegally exported,
although there were local laws banning logging in Taraba and other parts of
Nigeria.
The illegal
business, according to him, has further increased poverty and enriched the
traders by some $1billion between 2014 and 2017. He also insisted that
on-the-spot checks on containers in Nigeria and China as well as Chinese trade
data confirmed that logs were imported from Nigeria.“The logs provide luxury
furniture for many thousands of dollars in China,” Von Bismarck said.
But
Nigeria’s leading environmentalist and director at the Health of Mother Earth
Foundation (HOME), Nnimo Bassey expressed “serious doubts” that “Amina Mohammed
as Minister of Environment would preside over illegalities in the management of
environmental resources.”He, however, said he was aware that “there have been a
lot of pressures and subterfuges on Nigerian forests including during her short
tenure.
“My impression
is that she fought particularly hard to ensure that the Nigerian environment
was protected and raised the importance of the ministry to new levels. This
includes the hard fight to protect Nigeria’s last remaining pristine rain
forest in cross River State that has been under intense threat from the
proposed superhighway project.”
0 Comments