Faith Obiora will be
making her second appearance at the Paralympic Games in Brazil and the mother
of one is optimistic that this second outing would not be without any laurel.
The 2010
Commonwealth bronze medalist is the only woman among the three athletes
representing Nigeria in the table tennis event of the Rio Paralympic Games in
Brazil.
“I must admit that
it was not easy qualifying for the Paralympic Games in Morocco but I think I
worked hard for the qualification. I was at the London 2012 Paralympic Games
where I made it to the quarterfinal. This time around I don’t want to
participate alone but return home with a medal in my event,” she said.
The class four
category athlete however, described Paralympic Games as the biggest sporting
event in the world, which every athlete would love to feature in, while
acknowledging that being her second appearance she would be hoping to make it
fruitful.
Apart from being an
athlete, Obiora is also a coach and umpire which, she said has kept her glue to
the sport. “I don’t think I cannot do any sports outside table tennis. Apart
from the fame I have gotten from playing the game, it has brought a lot of good
tiding to me. I met my husband through the sport and God has blessed me with a
lovely kid. I must also admit that it has not been easy for me but I must thank
my husband who has been supportive.
“I could remember
that my baby was just 10months old when I went to US Open in 2013 but my
husband baby-sit him and even while I go for training he has always been there
for me. I will remain grateful to him with all his support for me and this is
what has kept me going in the sport that I have a supportive husband,” she
added.
The athlete who
suffered polio early in life believes she would make it to the podium in
Brazil.
THENATION




0 Comments